The Lambda Lambda chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi offers much service to the bands at Indiana State.
Typical projects include uniform measuring, hemming, and distribution and providing apples and water for the Marching Sycamores, uniform distribution and providing treat bags to the Basketball Band, and ushering and providing receptions for the concert ensembles. These programs have been undertaken in some fashion since our chapter’s founding in 2005.
The Lambda Lambda chapter also undertakes special service projects that impact the School of Music generally or the greater Terre Haute and Wabash Valley community. Some of these special projects have included:
- Organizing the “percussion closet” in the band room in the Landini Center for Performing and Fine Arts
- Hosting mock juries for music majors, from which they received feedback from faculty members
- Hosting a website for the Indiana State University Jazz Festival which is coordinated by the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia chapter
- Cleaning the Recital Hall in the Landini Center
- Cleaning practice rooms in the Fine Arts basement
- Organizing and filling Basketball Band binders
- Adjusting, cleaning, and painting music stands
- Participating in the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service and Donaghy Day, service events organized by the ISU Center for Community Engagement
- Solo & Ensemble Workshop for area high school students
- Participating in commissioning consortia for new wind band works (a consortium of college band directors for Judith Lang Zaimont’s Concerto for Piano and Wind Orchestra “Solar Traveller” in 2009, and the North Central District consortium for Steven Bryant’s works Idyll and Whirlwind in 2013)
By executing these projects, the Lambda Lambda chapter lives the five purposes of our fraternity:
- To promote the existence and welfare of the college and university bands and to cultivate at large a wholesome respect for their activities and achievements.
- To honor outstanding bandmembers through privilege of membership extended as a reward for technical achievement and appreciation for the best in music.
- To stimulate campus leadership and promulgate an uncompromising respect through the medium of the college band for gracious conduct, good taste and unswerving loyalty.
- To foster a close relationship between college bands and promote a high average of attainment by the performance of good music and selection of worthwhile projects.
- To provide a pleasant and helpful social experience for all engaged in college band work and to cooperate with other musical organizations in any manner consistent with the purposes of the institution at which chapters are located.